Saturday, May 21, 2011

Try to make me go to rehab


This lovely lady is the reason for my first post in 7mo.
I know what you're saying. "Pita, where you been?"
Well... I've been in grad school. Which leaves me no time for just about anything else.
But now, its SUMMER!!!!
And I am going to try to blog about fun things I do over the break.
This post is dedicated to REHAB.
No, I do not have a problem with substance abuse...  
I have a problem with no nightstand and no money!
Poor AJ has ben putting his glass of water (or 10) on the floor next to the bed
since we moved to Pullman 10 months ago.
I've ben looking for a nightstand small enough to fit the space for a LONG time
and could not find anything that wasn't under $15.
Why such a low budget you ask?
Because, as I said previously, I am a grad student
who hasn't found a summer job yet
I had to pay with pennies what little cash I have.
I don't know how many of you have lived in a collage town before
but if you have, then you know that spring is the best time to hit the thrift stores.
All the students leave town and donate their unwanted items to Palouse Treasures.
Score! I happened into the thrift store a block from my house
and found this beauty.
I know she looks a little rough but hey, she is solid wood, fits the space, 
and only $10!!



Ummm, those knobs NEED to go, and it needs some sanding, and paint.
So thats what I did. 


I wiped her down, sanded her rough spots, primed the dark wood,
and painted her white.
The concept I was going for was an old hospital cabinet.  
So I roughed up the edges, and painted a swiss cross on the top.  I then stenciled numbers
on the drawers.
And here she is, after Amanda's rehab



Pretty cute, if I do say so myself.
In all I spent about $30 on primer, paint, and new knobs.


Next up I think I will repaint the dining room table.
I painted it last summer and didn't really like the results so this summer...
It wil be ORANGE!

2 comments:

Beth and Jerry said...

Looks great, I really like it. I may rehab some pieces around here...or they may wait for you.

Brockman said...

Pita, who knew you were such a crafty lady? Love the new night stand - very chic looking. Enjoy your summer girl.